Thursday, September 22, 2005

Rita 4

I feel like I should apologize for how drab these titles are, but I'm too tired to be clever.

Long day, 10pm and I am about to go home. I have the chance to sleep in my bed, with my ceiling fan, TV on, clean sheets, privacy - and I'm going to take it. Will be back here tomorrow by 6:30am, and don't expect to be able to go home again until Sunday night.

Today was a lot of preparation and a lot of waiting. Watched employees kids, set up sleep rooms for staff and their families, served dinner to staff and patients, unloaded a VERY LATE food delivery into the walk-in freezer/refrigerator (reminded me a little of my Sirloin Stockade days, 53 years ago when I was a teenager). Being in the freezer for half an hour was my favorite part! (Hot, bloody hot.)

Main problems today were staff who cancelled, staff who had been working 16 hours and needed to be relieved, staff who are from the evacuated hospitals who don't know where we keep the ___________ (fill in the blank). Staff, period. Record number of patients - extremely limited and tired staff.

Speaking of tired staff, I'm going home now. Hope I have better luck than the nurse who spent 18 hours in her car driving 40 miles to get here from Clearlake (one of the evacuation areas). At least she didn't bring a bird...

No comments: