Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Calm AFTER the Storm

Aside from the fact I'm wandering around the hospital gathering up linens used by the staff to sleep everywhere they could - and on a Sunday to boot - today feels very normal in the hospital. I'm not sure normal has ever felt so good.

Everyone on the staff who wanted to go home last night was able to go home, with less than 10 employees needing to sleep over in the hospital. People working today no longer have that "Night of the Living Dead" look about them, which is a good thing. People look clean and rested and grateful and familiar, like we just licked a hurricane together (which we did).

Austin waited up until I got home last night at 10pm, and we sat and had a bowl of cereal together, visiting a little about this and that before going to sleep. Could we all just take a moment together to appreciate sleep? And beds? And ceiling fans? And my wife? And my children?

Had a little time this morning to wrestle with Braden before coming in to finish up with my responsibilities here, and will be home tonight in time for dinner with my family. Can we all take a moment to appreciate dinner with your family? And encouraging comments on your blog from family? And...oh, you get the idea.

Phillipians 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear wonderful, fun son,

this is a collective response to
all your wonderful blogs during and after the Rita episode. Loved
the pictures of Austin (the tongue)
and both boys (I'm sorry - when did my baby Braden become a big boy!)

Your adventures in the hospital sound like the stuff novels are made of - some good people, some idiots, some times to remember and some to forget.

But what I love most is your constant affirmation of your love for Shelley and the boys.

You know, if you should think of relocating, OKC is known for non-hurricanes. Yes, a tornado or two, it's true, but hey! a brief
time in the storm shelter and it's done!

Be Safe - your Thursday-Friday
respondent.

What's with all these commercial
blog people?