Sunday, January 16, 2005

Most Unusual

This was one of those weekends when I feel like it is over before I got any down time at all.

Two things contributed to my missed days off: a Cub Scout field trip to the Houston Museum of Natural Science on Saturday afternoon, and potty training. Where to begin...

Austin and six other scouts, plus four adult partners, additional siblings and one spouse made the trip to the museum, intending to satisfy several requirements for our Geology Activity Badge. I use the term "adult partners" in lieu of "parents" because the BSA guidelines strongly encourage the use of that term to prevent potential psychological harm to scouts with non-traditional "partners" (grandparents, aunts/uncles, nannies, CPS case workers, deadbeat boyfriends, anyone). I have promised myself not to rant on this site, so I will leave you to imagine my thoughts and feelings about this recommendation. The boys in our den are all fortunate, I guess, in that each of their "adult partners" is also a biological parent.

The museum was interesting, with an impressive collection of minerals and other rocks, all of which held virtually no appeal for any of our boys, but which captivated the father in our den who is a geologist by trade. (His wife - also a geologist - was the lone spouse to join us.) The boys were patient though, and walked through the entire exhibit without complaining constantly about wanting to go see the dinosaurs. Okay, they complained some of the time about wanting to go see the dinosaurs. Hey - I wanted to get out of there and see the dinosaurs.

When we did get to the bones, I am sorry to report, the exhibit unleashed whatever impulse it is which resides in devout "creationists" and devout "darwinists". We weren't halfway through the exhibit when someone brought up an article they read recently about human remains found with dinosaurs bones in the digestive tract, throwing the current system of understanding the age and sequence of the earth and its creatures into severe doubt. The geologist - who I happened to like very much - proceded to put on an impromptu clinic about scientific method versus faith and belief. I was unable to participate in this debate as the boy I was assigned to as my "museum buddy", (neither of his "adult partners" made the trip), had me pinned down with a mind-boggling description of his dream home, including snake shaped topiaries, velaciraptor alarm clocks and an animatronic T-Rex which was programmed to scare the life out of all visitors. The thing I like least about being the den leader for this group is having to split my time among all the boys, instead of giving all my attention to Austin. He had one of his best friends as his "museum buddy" though, so I don't think he missed me too much.

We spent an hour or so tonight working on his pinewood derby car: a classic wedge design (think doorstop) that looks like the letter "A" (for Austin) from above. Got the basic shape cut out, and tried to make sure Austin was doing the majority of the work. We enjoy making the cars, and have really been impressed with the designs of our two previous entries. But the only trophy he has won for all his efforts was a "Most Unusual" trophy last year. Shelley and I were somewhat embarassed, because Austin was really proud of his design and we hoped the car would actually be fast, or win a "design most likely to indicate brilliance and unlimited future potential" trophy. But Austin smiled from ear to ear over that silly trophy. (Note to self: to a 9 year old, ANY trophy is still just that: a trophy!) It is up front with all his other trophies, and is only slightly less cool than the raingutter regatta trophy he won three years ago.

As for the potty training, let me say this. Braden is the child who zigs when you expect a zag. We dreaded potty training, knowing it was going to be very difficult. He is so strong willed, we anticipate a fight just about every time we tell him to do anything, nevermind something he hasn't done before.

So it should go without saying that potty training went off without one #2 accident and only one #1 accident - all weekend. This means it has been Friday since anyone has changed a poopy diaper at our house! (Actually, that deserves a double exclamation!!) He was very proud each time he went, and we danced and sang and paraded him through the house every time he went, too. All weekend we would ask him, "Braden - are you still dry?". To which he would respond, "Yes". (Not sure when he switched to "yes" from "shuh", but he has. Sounds almost like "yeth", but the "th" sound is very light. Still, the "s" sound isn't that clear either.)

Having had 5 years of a potty trained child before Braden was born, I have a fresh, fond memory of life without diapers. With that happy thought in mind, I think I'll go to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with both the derby entry and the poopy exodus! Fun times, fun times.

~P