Monday, January 10, 2005

Body by Jake - Cardio Cruiser

Body by Jake - Cardio Cruiser

The hot new exercise equipment we have been waiting for at my As Seen on TV website "eShop Til You Drop" is finally here. Rushed to get the product page built tonight so I could bid on search terms at Overture before the rest of the partners and affiliates of Permission Interactive got after it. Once the big boys get in, it will be too expensive for me to bid into the top three spots, (which is where all the action is), so I had to get in early.

Besides speed, my other big "strategery" is bidding on mis-spellings. Last spring the big product was Cortislim, and I sold a ton of it on the search term "cortaslim". As many people were searching for "cortaslim" as for "cortislim", but the price of the first spot in the search engines for "cortaslim" was a fraction of the cost for the correct spelling. When I kept hearing ads for it on the radio, I knew people would be searching for it phonetically, and voila!

I feel like I have learned quite a bit about the workings of search engines, and optimizing websites for search engine placement. Two years ago I never dreamed I would be able to program even a simple site, never mind learn the ins and outs of optimizing a website for higher rankings. It is rather incredible that three search engines control almost all of the Internet search results, (Google, Yahoo, MSN), so a business that only exists on someone's computer can make a million bucks by building their site to be attractive to those three sites.

Last year I sold $500,000 worth of "As Seen on TV" products through my websites, and I just barely know anything about html programming and have taught myself only basic search engine optimization. It just boggles the mind.

With any ambition at all, I would collaborate with Blair and write a "Sell a half a million dollars worth of stuff with my proven techniques" eBook and profit from the knowledge I have learned during this venture. The only problem is, anybody with half a brain could put me out of business entirely. Maybe I'll just keep my "proven techniques" to myself!

Then again, Entrepreneur Magazine lists "Search Engine Optimization" as one of the hot business ideas for 2005, (December 2004 issue). Maybe I should create a website devoted to selling myself as a "proven" expert in SEO and wait for customers to beat a path to my door.

In the meantime, I think I'll keep my day job...


No comments: